Media and press articles
See this page
Frequently asked questions on residual perception
Do patients in a minimally conscious state perceive emotions and pain?
YES - neuroimaging studies show this is very likely the case, even if patients can not show or tell it ( Boly et al., 2008; Schiff et al 2005; Boly et al 2005; Laureys et al 2004; Bekinschtein et al 2004)
Do patients in a locked-in state feel anything?
YES - most patients feel, hear and see everything happening around them - Progress in Brain Research 2005
Do patients in a vegetative state feel anything?
CLASSICALLY, AND IF CORRECTLY DIAGNOSED, PROBABLY NO - Neuroimage 2002
There has been a report (Owen et al 2006) of a vegetative patient playing tennis in her head - does this mean all vegetative patients might consciously perceive?
PROBABLY NO, this is believed to be the exception rather than the rule (it has so far only been shown in one diffusely brain injured patient and never in anoxic cases ) - but it illustrates how carerfull one needs to be
Movies & documentaries
Quelle conscience durant le coma, l'anesthésie, le sommeil ?
Video of a conference by Steven Laureys at La Cité des sciences in May 2009
Short videos about our research:
- Altered states of consciousness: the ethics of death
- When consciousness persists and sends a sign
- Communication via fMRI/Communiquer via le scanner IRM
- Showing signs of consciousness using High-density EEG/Les connexions de la conscience mesuré en EEG
- Studying memories and near death experiences/Experiences proche de la mort
- Rencontre entre philosophie et neuroscience
- In Dutch, Sluimerend bewustzijn from KRO
2007 movie on locked in syndrome (Bauby's life)
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - read and watch NY times movie rieview
2007 documentary on coma by Liz Garbus COMA goes inside the Center for Head Injuries at JFK Medical Center in Edison, New Jersey and follows four coma survivors over the course of one year
La Fabrique Imaginaire (French)
Eve Bonfanti et Yves Hunstad metent en scène un voyage imaginaire à travers le coma (photos)